Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm Back


Wow...I made it! What a trip that was. I heartily recommend a trip to South Africa, especially if you like game drives to see wild animals. What a great experience! I added a pic I took during one of the game drives. This little kitty looks so peaceful that you just wanted to go up to her and give her a hug :)

I did have some free time, even though I spent a lot of time absorbing the various aspects of the trip and talking with my co-adventurers. Quite a bit of airplane time (as well as airport time) allowed me to get through over 2500 pages of reading. I also got to sit next to a lady that owned a Kindle and ask questions about it. It looks good as long as the battery doesn't run out and I suppose if the story was all that matters to you, then an electronic reading device might be OK. But I also like the book itself and love looking at my library so I'll stick with the real books. It's great to browse your own shelves and see a binding on an old favorite and relive the memories.

I completely finished two books (including the 1400+ page one) and almost all of two more books. It's very unusual for me, during a trip like this, to start a book when I'm still working on another. But I knew the first one would be completed in the middle of the airplane ride and unless I carried two books in my carry-on luggage, I'd be out of reading material. So I chose to start the second book instead. Upon the trip's completion, I ended up with two books, mostly done.

I'll describe each book in a seperate blog entry over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Books in no particular order (Well Known Authors)

  • "The Stand" by Stephen King
  • "Kane and Able" by Jeffrey Archer
  • "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara
  • "The Dark Elf Trilogy" by RA Salvatore
  • "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss
  • "River God" by Wilbur Smith
  • "Mortalis" by RA Salvatore
  • "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
  • "Centennial" by James A Michener
  • "The Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson

Top Books/ Series in no particular order (Lesser Known Authors)

  • "The Sculpter" by Gregory Funaro
  • "Power Down" by Ben Coes
  • "Revolution at Sea Saga" by James L. Nelson
  • "Black Rain" by Graham Brown
  • "Top Producer" by Norb Vonnegut
  • "Prairie" by Anna Lee Waldo
  • "The Wild Blue" by W. Boyne & S Thompson
  • "Unsolicited" series by Julie Kaewert
  • "Freedom" by William Safire